Sustainability procurement policy
West Midlands Trains Limited (WMT) provides passenger train services and is split into two Separable Business Units (SBU). London Northwestern Railway provides passenger services between London Euston and Liverpool Lime Street and some associated branch lines. West Midlands Railway provides passenger services within the West Midlands region and to other locations such as Shrewsbury, Hereford & Worcester. Each SBU will comply with the requirements of the Sustainable Procurement Management System (SPMS).
WMT recognises its role to protect communities and the environment, past present and future. Working with other key functions within the business and our key stakeholders we are committed to understanding and managing the environmental, economic and social impacts of our operations through the delivery of sustainable solutions. This Policy seeks to embed the consideration of social, environmental and economic impacts as factors in decisions made by staff and our stakeholders.
WMT will strive to:
- Encourage and engage suppliers to develop a proactive approach to sustainability issues and deliver sustainable solutions.
- Embed sustainability within tender documents by ensuring these are a proportionate part of the assessment criteria for significant impact procurements.
- Use of local and regional businesses, small and medium sized enterprises to be part of our supply chain, where reasonably practicable.
- Source 20% of addressable spend for goods and services with SMEs and social enterprise companies by 31 January 2022.
- Undertake sustainable procurement training and develop practical tools to increase knowledge and understanding, where practicable.
- Consider and evaluate whole-life costs prior to purchase where appropriate.
- Work with our suppliers to achieve zero safety incidents on all the projects that WMT delivers.
- Be ethical in our business practices in dealing with our supply chain.
WMT will expect our suppliers to work collaboratively and be supportive of our approach to continually improve performance, through the selection of sustainable products and solutions, innovative thinking, products, value engineering and the employment of best practice to meet WMT’s objectives and targets.
This policy and our performance against it will be monitored and reviewed annually as part of our procurement management system.
West Midlands Trains Limited