As more people use their bikes to start or finish their journeys – in place of catching a bus, tram or underground train, we have made a temporary change to our cycle policy.
Ideally, we would like you to leave your bike at the station rather than take it on the train. But where this is not an option, we want to make it easier for you while the current public transport advice remains in place.
Remember, space is at a premium, so we may have to refuse access with your bike if the train is getting busy and / or social distancing cannot be maintained.
If you want to take your bike on the train, then:
- There’s space for two bikes onboard each service, completely free of charge. Many of our newer trains have a space just for cycles, so look out for that as well. If the train is quiet, the Senior Conductor may allow more bikes on
- While the COVID 19 restrictions continue to apply to public transport, we will allow full-size bikes to be taken on-board peak time trains. But remember to continue to practice social distancing in stations and on trains.
- We are also suspending the restriction on taking full-size bikes on trains arriving in London Euston between 07:00 and 09:59, or departing from London Euston between 16:00 and 18:59 from Monday to Friday
- Folding cycles can be carried on any service, any time
- If you do wish to bring your bike with you, especially getting on at our busier stations, find out the times of our quieter services
Please be considerate of others. For example, do not ride your bicycle on railway property, including platforms, because it’s dangerous to you and others. Always remember, you should give priority in accessible spaces to passengers with disabilities
Switch all bike lights off when on the railway (including on helmets), because a red light represents an instruction to a train driver to stop.
Cycles on other trains
For loads of cycling info across the UK, have a look at Plusbike
You can find:
- Cycle facilities and number of spaces at stations in our region
- Cycle carriage rules by train company
- Cycle reservations requirements (if any)
Cycle storage at stations
You can also leave your bike safely and securely at many local stations, but it’s worth double-checking first what bike storage facilities are available.