Great for flexibility and value by avoiding travelling at busy times.
For those who can be flexible on when and what train to travel on, an Off-Peak ticket is for you. Designed to be used when trains are quiet and outside the commuter peak times they are great value alternatives available as one-way and return tickets.
Types of Off-Peak tickets
Tickets valid for one journey on any Off-Peak train
Off-Peak Day Return
Tickets valid for one day on any Off-Peak trains with the return journey on the same day
Tickets valid on any Off-Peak trains with the return journey made within one calendar month
£2.80 Evening Return
Same day return travel between any two stations in the West Midlands rail zones 1-5. Tickets valid any day from 6:30pm. Learn more about our Evening Return ticket .
Unlimited Off-Peak train, bus and tram travel within the specified West Midlands rail zones. Valid for one day.
Super Off-Peak Day Single or Return
Available on longer distance routes with London Northwestern Railway. Offer the same type of flexibility as Off-Peak tickets, but some further time restrictions apply.
Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets explained
- Cheaper than Anytime tickets
- More seating available during these quieter parts of the day
- Single, Return and London Travelcard tickets available
- Weekends and bank holidays are entirely Off-Peak, so you can travel on any train at any time on Saturdays and Sundays
- Off-peak tickets are valid for travel on the date shown on the ticket and until 4:29 the following day, so you can get home after a night out.
- An Off-Peak Family Travelcard allows up to four kids travel for just £1 each to London when accompanied by an adult.
- Railcard discounts apply
Off-Peak train times within the West Midlands rail zones
|Ticket Type||Days||Travel Times||Notes|
Off-Peak Day Return
|Monday-Friday||You can use this ticket for travel from 0930 but not between 1635 and 1800 if travelling from Birmingham New St, Moor St, Snow Hill, Five Ways or Jewellery Quarter||No evening peak restrictions apply on these tickets when travelling to or beyond Hereford, Shrewsbury, Stafford or Northampton|
Off-Peak Day Return
|Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays||You can use this ticket for travel all day on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays|
|Monday-Friday||You can use this ticket for travel from 0930. No evening peak restrictions apply to this ticket||This ticket is valid for one day's off-peak travel throughout the West Midlands rail zones.|
|Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays||You can use this ticket for Travel all day on Saturdays, Sundays, or Bank Holidays||This ticket is valid for one day's off-peak travel throughout the West Midlands rail zones.|
£2.80 Evening Fares
|Monday-Sunday||Travel with evening fares is valid from 1830||Single traveller and group fares are available|
Travelling to London or Liverpool? Specific route restrictions below
The tables below applies to tickets marked "London Northwestern Railway" or "West Midlands Railway only" (sometimes marked as "West Midlands Trains only" or "WMR/LNR Only"). Tickets marked "Any Permitted" have different conditions.
Off-Peak train times (to/from London)
|Ticket Type||Day||Travel time to London||Travel times from London|
Off-Peak Single or Return
One Day Travelcard
|Monday-Friday||You can only use these tickets for arrival in London after 10.00am||You can leave London on trains departing from 0915 (0845 if travelling to Wolverton, Northampton and Long Buckby)|
Off-Peak Day Single or Return
One Day Travelcard
|Saturday. Sundays and Bank Holidays||You can use these tickets for travel to London all day without restriction||
You can use these tickets for travel from London all day without restrictions
Super Off-Peak train times (to/from London)
|Ticket Type||Days||Travel times to London||Travel times from London|
Super Off-Peak Day Single or return
Super Off- Peak Travelcard
|Monday- Saturday||You can only use this ticket for arrival in London after 1300. It is also not valid on trains departing between 1600 and 1900.||
You can leave London on trains departing from 1030 but not between 1600 and 1900.
On Saturdays customers travelling to stations between Nuneaton and Crewe can use the 1846 train from London
Super Off-Peak day single or return
Super Off-Peak One Day Travelcard
|Sundays and Bank Holidays||You can use these tickets for travel to London all day on Sundays without restrictions||You can use these tickets for travel from London all day on Sundays and Bank Holidays without restrictions|
Super Off-Peak train times between Birmingham and Liverpool
|Ticket Type||Days||Travel times to Liverpool||Travel times from Liverpool|
|Super Off-Peak Return||Monday- Saturday||You can only use this ticket for arrival in Birmingham or Liverpool after 13.00||
You can leave Birmingham or Liverpool trains that arrive in Birmingham or Liverpool after 1300. You cannot travel from Birmingham or Liverpool on trains departing between 1600 and 1900
Super Off-Peak Return
|Sundays and Bank Holidays||You can use these tickets for travel between Birmingham and Liverpool and all day on Sundays without restriction||You can use these tickets for travel between Birmingham and Liverpool all day on Sundays and Bank Holidays without restrictions|
- Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak tickets that show ‘any permitted’ allow you to travel on any train operator within any of the Off-Peak times.
- Off-Peak and Super Off-Peak tickets that show ‘West Midlands Trains only’ or 'WMR/LNR Only' are much cheaper than the alternative ‘any permitted’ and allow you to travel only on available West Midlands Railway or London Northwestern Railway trains.
How to buy Off-Peak tickets
You can buy your Off-Peak tickets:
- Online with our journey planner
- App - download our app from Google Play or Apple App Store
- Visit us at a staffed station, and our friendly team will help you out
- At a 'self-service' ticket machine - available at many stations
- Call us if you prefer on 0333 311 0039 - we can help you find the right price and train
Daytripper tickets can be purchased through the Transport for West Midlands ticket finder .