Meet our shiny new Class 196 trains
Sometimes it’s the little things that can make a big difference, and our Class 196 trains are no exception. We’ve put you, our customers, at the heart of our decisions, which is why we are excited to invite you on board.
So where are they going? Our Class 196 diesel trains headed to Shrewsbury first, followed by the Hereford and Leamington to Nuneaton lines. Good things come to those who wait.
In total we’ve got 26 brand-new Class 196 trains replacing some of our oldest diesel fleets. Made up of 80 carriages (built in two and four car formations) they will help us improve capacity by around 25% - so, we hope you’re pleased with the switch!
New 196 features
Video: Join Senior Conductor Sam who takes you on board our Class 196, showing you all the little things that will make a big difference to your journey.
More seats and tables for a more enjoyable journey
More bike storage areas, enabling up to three bikes to be carried
At least one accessible toilet on every train
Improved under-seat luggage space
Improved digital information screens
Plug and USB sockets at every seat
Intelligent air conditioning which reacts to the carriage environment
Free WiFi to stay connected and catch up as you go
The journey of our new trains
- Winter 2017: West Midlands Railway is established and orders from two brand new train fleets are placed
- 2018: Construction begins of our new Class 196 trains by manufacturer CAF
- Autumn 2019: The first train is ready to be tested on the famous Velim test track in Eastern Europe
- Spring 2020: Second phase of production begins in Newport, Wales
- Summer 2020: With Covid-19 restrictions temporarily eased, our first 196 units begin arriving in the West Midlands
- Autumn 2020: The first trains in the fleet begin testing on the UK rail network
- 2021: Despite the challenges of the pandemic, the remaining trains are constructed, and on-track testing continues.
- Autumn 2022: Training begins for our drivers and senior conductors ready for the first trains to enter service on the Shrewsbury Line
- Spring 2023: Trains start to arrive on the Hereford/Worcester and Leamington - Nuneaton Lines
196 fact sheet
|Manufacturer||Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF)|
|Trains in Fleet||26 (14 x 4-car / 12 x 2-car)|
Birmingham - Shrewsbury (from 2022)
|Total Seats||311 (4-car) / 141 (2-car)|
196 seating plan
Familiarise yourself with the 196 seating plan.
Downloadable 196 train wallpapers
A collection of high definition Class 196 wallpapers available for download for free.
Where do the new 196 trains travel to?
Class 196 trains are serving Shrewsbury and Telford Line, as well as Hereford and Worcester line. Soon to be followed by the next route!